.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Suze and Politics Part 6: Destiny NZ

Summary
Should I vote for Destiny NZ? No!

I would only consider voting for Destiny NZ if I was a Christian and married or planning on getting married. But I'm not. Destiny NZ's policies and philosophies disadvantage me and would probably take away many of my freedoms given that "they recognize the Holy Bible to be the Word of God, which is infallible and the supreme authority in all matters of faith and morals, upon which governing mandates should be founded and measured".

Probability that I will vote for Destiny NZ: 0%


Destiny NZ Principles
Destiny NZ's philosophy and policies are apparently based on the Holy Bible. I say "apparently" because I haven't read the bible properly, so it's hard for me to judge whether or not this is the case. From what I remember though, the bible is written as parables and is not particularly clear, so I guess they are basing everything on their particular interpretation of the bible.

This seems to be the cornerstone to their philosophy:
Believe there is only one God, who is undivided and inseparable in essence, and within this one essence, there are three eternal distinctions, the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. They recognize the Holy Bible to be the Word of God, which is infallible and the supreme authority in all matters of faith and morals, upon which governing mandates should be founded and measured.
This is a complete mismatch with my philosophy and I guess it completely rules out Destiny NZ as an option for me. However, they do say quite a lot of things that I agree with. If I was a devout Christian, they would be an option.

Here are the rest of their principles:
Pledge to be faithful and loyal to our Country and to govern in the best interests of present and future generations, upholding principles of truth, integrity, and honour.
I like this. Truth, integrity , and honour are good. They are characteristics that seem to be lacking in politicians.

Honour the ‘Treaty of Waitangi’ (Te Tiriti o Waitangi) as a significant foundational document. Moreover, the Treaty is recognized as a ‘covenant’ agreement, which is perpetually relevant and binding.
Believe that in the best interests of the health, wealth, and prosperity of our nation, the ‘family’ (For the purposes of our Constitution defined as a legally married husband and wife, and their children) must be protected, esteemed, and empowered to realize its fullest potential.
Um. Well. I agree that families are important, however I do not like a lot of their family policies which advantage married people:
  • Tax credits in the form of 'marriage milestones' for fixed terms of unbroken marriage i.e. years 5, 10, 15 & 20 etc,
  • Financial support for married first-homebuyers,
  • Greater financial support for full-time mothers,
  • Income splitting for marriage-centred families to alleviate the tax burden,
  • Abolition of the marriage licence fee of $170.
Where is the support for me? Married people already have financial advantages especially in homebuying, shared costs and general support. I don't like the idea of my tax money helping to pay for other people's houses and family life because they are married and I'm not. I don't like the idea of married people with kids being normal and the "ideal" and anything else (ie me) being a disadvantaged outcast.
If this ever happened, I would leave NZ.

Will strive for liberty and opportunity for every New Zealander regardless of race, gender, or status, promoting social harmony and national unity.
I am a little confused here. I assume that this "liberty" and "opportunity"are only liberty and opportunity within the moral guidelines of the Holy Bible? Which is not really liberty at all. What about liberty for those who do not follow the Holy Bible's moral guidelines? Or for those who disagree on what the Holy Bible's moral guidelines are?

I am not going to follow the moral guidelines of the Holy Bible. I wonder if Destiny NZ still strive for my liberty and opportunity?

Will pursue economic excellence in an open market economy, supporting the development of local enterprise in pursuit of both local and global significance. Moreover, Destiny New Zealand will maintain sound economic practice and judgement vested in the best interests of all New Zealanders.
The "best interests of all New Zealanders"...hmmm...is it possible to do things that are in the best interests of everyone? If so, that would be quite impressive.

Are committed to protecting and maintaining a safe and clean natural environment for all New Zealanders.
Regard first-class quality services pertaining to health, welfare, and education to be an inherent right of every New Zealander.
Will uphold the rule of Law, Order and Justice, protect the sanctity of life and the freedom of every New Zealander to live within the parameters of God-honouring moral principles.
Sanctity of life. I'm sure I will disagree there.

Oh, here it is! It is not real freedom it is "the freedom of every New Zealander to live within the parameters of God-honouring moral principles".

Will present the Nation of New Zealand to the international community as one rich in heritage, culture, unity, and strength, uncompromising in truth, justice, and integrity, a model for international harmony, generational blessing and prosperity.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?