.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, May 05, 2005

(sort of) GIS Related: GeoTagging Images

Geobloggers
Combining Google Maps and Flickr. It works by tagging images with the latitude and longitude.Of course, Google Maps only works for the states, so it is only interesting idea at the moment.

For a minute or so I got all enthusiastic and I thought about geotagging my photos, but I don't have a GPS and tagging photos with coordinates only makes sense if you have a device that does it automatically.

Then I thought about it a little bit more and decided that most of my photos are geotagged anyway (eg muriwai or auckland albertpark). Placename tags are more useful, more meaningful and much much easier than fiddling around with coordinates and coordinate systems.


Of course I could easily create something to convert my placename tags into coordinates. I could even include a function to convert between different coordinate systems. But I won't. That would be too much like this blog, ie a pointless waste of time.



Comments:
google maps is available for the uk too :)

not much use if you are in any other part of the world yet tho i guess.

ive come up with a slightly more streamlined process for the system of adding geotags, if you would like to check it out :)
more info here: http://tinyurl.com/94rx8

also you mention a way of tagging images with placenames, theres another project that does this called mappr.com you might like to check it out :)
 
then again mappr.com is predominantly usa based too ...
 
Thanks for all the info!

I'd like to tag my images, but I would prefer to do it in something other than lat/long. I guess I am more familiar with the NZ coordinate systems.

I guess I could geotag everything now and wait. Although there must be cameras that include GPS by now.

Will check out mappr. At the moment I'm more interested in the cool new ideas than actually having something that works for NZ :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?