.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

A ramble on my political dithering and fence-sitting

I like categorising things, especially myself. Hence I have been trying to decide where I fit on the political spectrum (still!) and it is not going well.

Up until recently I was under the illusion that I was a lefty (sp?). I have no idea why I thought such a thing, but it has been quite disturbing to have my political self-image shattered. I now realise I am anything but a lefty.

I don't believe in equality, and I especially don't believe in enforced equality, which is what I think the left-side of the political spectrum (economic dimension) is about. Although I guess I could be completely wrong about that.

Unfortunately I don't like the right-side of the political spectrum at all. Why? Just because. I don't have to be rational about it...actually maybe that's it. I don't like it when people imply that rational is right and everything else is wrong. And now that I think about it, it is not just the right-wing that does this...people on the left-wing can also be militantly rational. I haven't thought about this properly yet, but I don't think rational and right are the same thing.
Maybe it is related to my sporadic belief that there is no such thing as wrong. However, it will have to be a question for another day.

Maybe I am a centrist (aka fence-sitter). I can quite easily see how both sides are arguing "rationally" from their own completely different frameworks. It's like everything else in my life. I have a tendency to empathise and to whatever-the-intellectual-equivalent-of-empathise-is. It's why I am dithering. No one is completely wrong. Both sides make good points.

But I don't want to be a fence-sitter. That is not a satisfactory or appealing category. Maybe extra dimensions, like an apathy dimension, would be useful.

Anyway, I think I might be a Libertarian. I am going to investigate further.


Comments:
I just read this post in relation to the recent What is My World View? post and now it all makes sense! Apparently I am Cultural Creative, and apparently that means "life has a meaning outside of the rational." Although, I should say that I take quiz results about as seriously as I take politics.
 
Suze,

First of all, ok if you feel the need to label yourself, but I feel you shouldn't feel that need. Identify what it is you like and you don't like, what you believe and don't believe. If you pick a label for yourself, you'll be continually measuring your beliefs against that label to either justify the label or the belief.

If you're looking for alternatives to the artificial "left" / "right" construct, I have a number of posts on my site about that. Setting up the left and right as supposed opposites. Extreme leftists and rightists can both be on the same side of the fence with respect to what they believe the proper role of the government is (i.e., gov't should be a controlling factor in our lives in *some* way).

Try taking "The World's Smallest Political Quiz" (http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html) to get a more nuanced view of the various political spectra...

David
AgnostoLibertarianTechnoGeek
http://ddhead.blogspot.com
david_uctaa@yahoo.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?