.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, July 07, 2006

low mountain goats

I am absolutely loving these two albums:

The Great Destroyer by Low

The Sunset Tree by The Mountain Goats


Perfectly heartbreaking. Both of them. Exquisite, intense, beautiful, wistful, accepting and sad. Somehow they make that hollowed out part of my soul deeper and more obvious. Somehow they make me feel emptier and more alive both at the same time. Perfect soundtracks for now.

Low is a slowcore/sadcore band. Minimal. Beautiful. I love their music, partly because it sounds like my music. Up until just recently I had only heard the odd song here and there, but a few weeks ago I bought their 2005 album The Great Destroyer. It is fantastic. Yes there are sad, slow parts. But there are also loud, happy, distorted parts. I love it because it resonates. It is beautiful, sad, distorted, dark, happy, delicate and intense. It sends shivers through me. It makes the stars seem closer. It makes me cry. Not many things can do that all that.

I am ashamed to admit I have ignored The Mountain Goats until a few weeks ago. I hadn't even heard one song. But The Sunset Tree is brilliant. Wow. Mostly acoustic. Lo-fi. Quirky. Almost folky but not. Singer-songwriter but better. And I can't explain it. And then there are the intelligent, quirky lyrics that say something. And beautiful melodies. And that X factor. Shivers. Smiles. Tears.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?