.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Python is pretty cool

...but also a little annoying. I am not the sort of person who likes worrying about tabs and indentation and backslashes being escape characters. Actually, that's not true. I adore those things the first few times when I am "figuring out what is wrong." Afterwards when the "figuring out what is wrong" turns into "crap typing and attention to detail skills", that's when I hate it.

Anyway, I am very pleased with myself because I wrote a couple of python scripts (I don't know python) to do something that would've taken around 60 hours of tedious mouse-clicking. And the coding only took a quarter of the time I thought it would.

Of course the scripts aren't perfect and I could spend hours making them better, but there is a balance/trade-off point between spending time automating smething and doing some parts manually.


Comments:
and usually writing the program is 100 times more fun than doing the thing manual. And I think 100x more fun beats 10x longer
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?