.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, November 14, 2005

James Blunt

How can I like James Blunt? It doesn't seem right, but I do. Maybe I am getting old. Or maybe there is some edginess hiding somewhere in the songs.

I got the album "Back To Bedlam" recently and have been thrashing it ever since.

It is bizarre because I don't usually go for that sort of radio-friendly mellow singer-songwriter thing. It is also bizarre given my other most recent musical obsessions (Depeche Mode, Goldfrapp, Tegan & Sara).

Prior to buying the album I had only heard "You're Beautiful", which I thought was OK, but a bit soppy and a bit boring. "You're Beautiful" is one of my least favourite songs on the album. I like "High" and "No Bravery" best. There are a few 'press skip' songs and a few 'press repeat' songs.

On first listen, I thought 'How Depressing! this album will make me cry!.' But I guess that is because it is beautiful. And maybe I like it because it makes me cry.
Beautiful dawn - melt with the stars again.
Do you remember the day when my journey began?
Will you remember the end (of time)?
Beautiful dawn - You're just blowing my mind again.
Thought I was born to endless night, until you shine.
High; running wild among all the stars above.

Sometimes it's hard to believe you remember me.

- from "High" by James Blunt


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?