.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Music and Politics: Imagine all the people...

I have been a bit slow on the new music thing recently so I have only just discovered A Perfect Circle's new album Emotive. It's full of protest songs. The songs are mostly interpretations of existing songs, but there are a couple of originals (Passive is beautiful).

I think it's ironic and synchronous that I come across this album now when I am trying to make myself interested in politics.

I haven't listened to all of the album yet, but the version of John Lennon's Imagine is stunning and a bit disconcerting. Imagine is one of my all-time favourite songs. A Perfect Circle's version is nothing like the original. It is dark and haunting and I love it. I think, however, that a lot of people would not love it. Probably a lot of people would hate it.

I also think the lyrics of Imagine are worth thinking about, at least a little. On most days I agree with the lyrics. Perhaps you think I am too idealistic and irrational. That I am flaky and hippy-like and that is a bad thing. Or perhaps you think my liking such a dark version of the song means that I am negative and weird and that is a bad thing.

Well, I know what I am, and it is not always what I seem, and I think most people don't see me as I really am. I think the world needs more people like me.

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer,
but I'm not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?