.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, May 27, 2005

Diffs

Last nights conversation alighted on "diffs" for a few minutes. Apparently the Zephyr needs a new diff. Everyone was very unknowledgeable about what a diff is. So I looked it up.

Car wheels spin at different speeds. Especially when turning.

I didn't know this! Although now that I think about it it makes sense. Basic physics.

Having all the wheels spin at the same speed while turning would be nasty, hence the device called the differential (ie diff). A differential is something that allows the wheels to spin at different speeds. It does this by splitting the engine torque (rotational force).

I'm sure there is a lot more to know about differentials, but I think this is all I need.

All this is from How Stuff Works where you can see animations of how a diff works.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?