.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

What is the Difference between a Joke and Abuse?

Could someone please explain the difference to me? I imagine there is a line somewhere. Where is it?

Somewhere in Britain someone called his car park a "porking yard". Apparently this is offensive and antisocial behaviour and he was ordered to take the sign down (for details see Clarity & Resolve).

It seems to me that whether something is offensive is very subjective and is dependent on your perspective and your attitude. I can see how you could interpret the sign as a deliberately provocative and offensive gesture. I can also see how it could just as easily be a harmless joke.

Personally I just assume that no one wants to offend me...and what do you know...no one offends me.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?